Photography Cafe
March 18, 2018, 7:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
If your images win Photo of the Day, Photo of the Week,
or Photo of the Month, please do NOT delete your images
from your albums after they have been given one of these titles.
When the photo is deleted, it leaves broken links
on our site and that is unacceptable. Thank you!  Smiley
  Home   Forum   Gallery Help Arcade Cafe Book Nook Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: POTW December 24th to December 30th ~ Christopher Robin  (Read 152 times)
Global Moderator

Mr. Outspoken

« on: December 30, 2017, 3:37 AM »

PHOTO OF THE WEEK~December 24th to December 30th

"European Robin"

by Christopher Robin
Thumb Up

This is what Chris says about his POTW:
"The image was taken in North Wales in my back garden. We were having quite a snowfall so, stuck indoors, I noticed this robin visiting my plum tree. I first tried with my 18-200 sigma zoom but results where no good - too far away - then I remembered this "old" sigma 400 telephoto bought used 10 years ago so I simply stood in my upstairs bedroom, small window open, rested lens on window frame and waited for robin's return. In total there are about 4 shots 2 with branches in the way and 2 where he landed on a more open branch so I just took the shot. I set the camera to AV so I could control the aperture as the lens only works on f5.6; anything else freezes the camera with an error. I used the window frame to stop any shake and I felt got some good results for me. Never for one second did I think people would actually think they are good as well.
I bought this lens for my old eos film camera to give wildlife photography a try but had some really bad images either just branches or tail feathers. I once took a few good shots of a squirrel tail and, with the expense of developing these "wonderful" fails, I gave up. So when I finally went digital a whole new world opened up. I have to say that the robin image is my best wildlife photo I have ever taken.
The shot was taken roughly around 11 in the morning; no sunshine, just this really odd light that the falling snow gave. I forgot that I had left a warm up filter on 82A so I think it stopped the image being too cold."

CONGRATULATIONS Christopher Robin!

Click on the photo to go to Christopher's album and leave a comment.
And leave a post below and let him know what you thought of his photo.
We all love comments!

Here are the four Crackers that were runners-up this week:

Hey Sam, Did you hear that??
by Photopete

blue boat and reflection
by PG tips

detail of fountain in Plaza Pretoria, Sicily
by PG tips

As close as it gets
by Chocky

Alan Smiley  

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 4:50 PM by BigAl » Logged

Photographers should never fall out over a small TIFF.
Christopher Robin
Now & Then

Allow Photo Edit?: Yes

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 2:50 PM »

Wow thank you all so much this has really taken me by surprise you have no idea how this has made my day I never win anything again thank you all so much. What a cracking end to a year
Whooooooo I am going to tell EVERYONE!
Happy new year

Remember Where Ever You Go - There You Are!

Allow Photo Edit?: Yes

I need a holiday

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 2, 2018, 9:36 AM »

Congratulations,  what an appropriate shot for Christmas Week,  well done to the crackers as well.

Thought before action if you have time
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: