Photography Cafe
December 12, 2017, 8:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Have you seen the POTQ?
"The beauty of dance "
by Nightjar

Have a look and leave your comment!
(Click on the photo)

Home   Forum   Gallery Help Arcade Cafe Book Nook Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POTW~Oct. 2~Hokum  (Read 5288 times)
admin
Administrator
Album

Awards
« on: October 3, 2006, 6:45 PM »

PHOTO OF THE WEEK~Oct. 2

"Round & Round"

by Hokum  Thumb Up

From Hokum:

"This is great news and I am really pleased!

Well, this photo was of the Birmingham Wheel taken last year quite late at night. I think the wheel has been dismantled and moved to somewhere in Europe now which is sad because it was a real feature while it was there!

The day I took this....(fades out into flashback memory).... I had an ex-uni mate up for the weekend and as we settled down for the evening after a day's outings we had an idea to drive to Birmingham and take a few pics in the Centre. It actually turned out to be a bit of a pain because a couple of blokes setting up tripods at about 10-11 o'clock seems to really attract the majority of drunk people wandering aimlessly around at that time! Wouldn't recommend it!

I used my old Olympus C8080WZ for this picture which I think was an amazing little camera to get me started in photography. I actually only ended up keeping it for about 9 months before selling it on ebay for almost as much as I paid for it. I have to thank my wife for letting me spend more money and upgrading to the Canon 350D that I have now, which I am also really pleased with!

Anyway, this was probably my first night time photography outing and I didn't really have too much of an idea, so I set it to shutter priority mode and then to 15 seconds to get a good spinny effect, whacked it to 50 iso and hoped for the best! It worked great and got the result I was hoping for! Since then I find that night time shooting is definitely my style of choice. My tripod is a permanent feature in my boot, just in case!

Thank you to anyone who voted for my photo! It is such a nice feeling to see your image staring back at you on the Cafe front page! Thank you very much!!

Hokum"

CONGRATULATIONS HOKUM!

Click on the photo to go to Hokum's album and leave a comment.  And leave a post below and let Hokum know what you thought of his photo!  We all love comments!  Smiley

« Last Edit: October 4, 2006, 12:20 PM by Pat » Logged
Pat
Administrator
Album

Allow Photo Edit?: Yes

Guelph, ON, Canada & Winchester, VA

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2006, 11:51 AM »

Well, I really liked this photo when you first uploaded it and to see it Photo of the Day first of all was a treat.  Now, as Photo of the Week, congratulations!

I love your comment in your album where you say that "People were flying off everywhere!"!

Good job and hopefully we'll see many more of you here in the Archive section.

AnnG
Way To Go
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2006, 12:18 PM »

Congratulations, it is a very striking image. Great shot.  Ann Smiley
BigAl
Global Moderator
Album

Mr. Outspoken

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2006, 12:23 PM »

I had no hesitation in voting this as POTW. Some photos are harder to get right than others, so this deserves the accolade.

Photographers should never fall out over a small TIFF.
chippy
Administrator
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2006, 12:28 PM »

Hokum. great to see this magnificent shot as the first in our new POTW album. Thanks for the gypsies warning about audiences at the Centre  Grin  More of this style and night time photography will be eagerly awaited from your new 350D (wise choice of camera Wink )

Click for Stansted, United Kingdom Forecast" border="0" height="41" width="127    Chippy 
Julie
CHIEF NATTERER
Top Gun
Album

DON'T MISS THE GALLERY TODAY!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2006, 12:56 PM »

Congratulations Hokum on achieving the very first Photo of the Week!

If you post a shot in the Gallery, please stop a few moments and leave a comment or two on some shots you see. It's so encouraging to get comments.
SiskinBob
Big Hitter
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2006, 1:26 PM »

Well Deserved ... Congratulations Hokum ......  The Man
Hokum
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2006, 3:00 PM »

Thank you so much everyone! You are very generous with your comments!

Yes, I went for the 350D a few months ago and now I see there's a cool new 400D out and it's at the same price as I paid! I usually do enough reading to pre-empt stuff like that and wait, but I had no idea until recently. Oh well, I am still completely happy with it - and moving up to 10+ megapixels would only fill up the hard disc quicker!!
Peter
Viewfinder
Album

Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 4, 2006, 3:54 PM »

Congrats Hokum, a worthy POTW.

Peter   Camera

"Pause a while and reflect on the wonders of nature"
Photopete
Viewfinder
Album

Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 6:38 PM »

I love this photo.... Well deserved! I did not know that they had moved the wheel.

The elevator to success is broken.... Take the Stairs
and as you get older, just stay in one spot... Stairs are too hard to climb.. God only gave you so many Heartbeats at birth, Don't waste them on Stairs.
wendy woo
Top Gun
Album

Missing my little man so much.

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 12:26 AM »

Well done hokum on POTW, top shot  Thumb Up

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: