Photography Cafe
May 28, 2017, 5:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Have you seen Photo Parade featuring Pat? Please take a look and choose your favourite!

Home   Forum   Gallery Help Arcade Cafe Book Nook Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My computer is dead  (Read 1907 times)
Chocky
Premium Platinum
Album

WWW Awards
« on: June 23, 2016, 4:04 AM »

Black screen Cry
can't get into safe mode
Windows boot Manager doesn't work . static screen
Can't get there through F12 F10 or F2 don't really know what to choose in those have tried most
F8 just brings up boot manager
Have tried repair program ...........computer won't catch it. Won't catch any thing on cd not even recovery discs
What else is there, any one know?.................Please

A true friend is the best possession

http://berylladd.com/
Ian
Administrator
Album

Allow Photo Edit?: Yes

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 5:04 AM »

Can you get to the bios? If not it sounds like your motherboard may be kaput, if you can get to your bios check the hard drive settings, depending on your particular bios it may give you a health check of your disk...it could be a hard drive failure...it may be why your boot manager is getting stuck if it can't read your disk?

Chocky
Premium Platinum
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:49 AM »

Thanks for your response Ian. You are probably right

I checked the memory. No prob's there
Can't get into safe mode and the arrow keys were missing in the boot up manager.

I tried the bios tabs but didn't know what to do in there. Lol. Plenty of choices

Taken it to the shop. It's an ACER so I'm told it's crap. The shop keeper here has no people skills. That won't convince me  to buy a new PC from him
I pointed out we are not all in a financial position to buy expensive equipment. ( I used to work in that shop. before he took over )

However it is fairly old now so I will probably get a new on for my birthday.
Thanks again. I'll let you know how I get on

I told the chap to let me know What was wrong and how much before he fixes any thing

ChrisAnn
Global Moderator
Album

West Dorset, South of England, UK

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 1:55 PM »

Good luck Chocky. It's horrible when your computer stops working and worrying in case anything is going to be lost.

Chris Ann
Chocky
Premium Platinum
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 3:36 PM »

Thank you ChrisAnn

Yes some photos videos and v I don't want to lose. Saved quite a few. Can also bring some down from the website if the files get lost

Chocky
Premium Platinum
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 5, 2016, 5:19 PM »

I had to get a new hard drive for my PC and have the old one in a caddie  hoping I can retrieve the data.
I may ask my son to take it it in to work. The police have  equipment that the public can't bu for retrieving data from hard drives

I'll keep trying, it seams others have done this. Just need a good program

Ian
Administrator
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2016, 3:16 AM »

If the old drive hasn't been wiped, you don't necessarily need a recovery program, you may be able to just view and copy the files from it... It's things like email/Outlook .pst files etc that get trickier.
In the past when a hard drive won't spin up I have used the freezer trick to get it working long enough to get my files of them...in one instance the drive is still working now

Chocky
Premium Platinum
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2016, 3:32 AM »

Thanks Ian. Smiley

I plugged he caddie into my PC and the first instruction was to scan and fix. So I did

I think all the files are in tact but in code. My middle son is an iT technical consultant so he may well be able to convert them all back . He is writing programs all the time for big firms

Some of the files were in good condition. Files  of flowers I took a couple of weeks ago. It's a few photos and a good deal of videos I really want. I had backed up most of the others including all my Documents

I told the chap in the shop. "I may be in my 70s but I'm still fully compos mentis " I also said his tactics & Jargon won't get me to but a new computer from him

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: