Photography Cafe
June 28, 2017, 7:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Have you seen the POTQ?
"Wintery wonderland"
by Ian Clamp

Have a look and leave your comment!
(Click on the photo)

Home   Forum   Gallery Help Arcade Cafe Book Nook Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which tripod  (Read 2033 times)
Stephie20
Viewfinder
Album

WWW Awards
« on: December 10, 2015, 6:06 PM »

Hi..  I'm looking at buying a new tripod for the camera and a video camera.
I need one for my camera and one I can also use for videoing my painting demonstrations. This need to be done overhead. I have seen some people using a tripod with an arm attached, I just don't know where to start, please help.
blackcap
Regular Snapper
Album

Allow Photo Edit?: Yes

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 10:45 AM »

Sorry can't help with a tripod with a movable top arm.

I have 2 tripods one bought for a spotting scope that will take my heavy equipment and one that folds down and fits in my bag manly for when I go on travel holidays. Both have a removable leg to use as a Monopod.

Trevor

Its a hard life being retired
KevB
Global Moderator
Album

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 6:02 PM »

Hi Stephie20 have you tried www.wexphotographic.com
they have offers on all camera gear....
Fatman75
Viewfinder
Album

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 10:09 PM »

Try a google search for tripod boom arm, or tripod jib arm. These will work with most tripods and can be bought from 50 upwards. You will need a sturdy tripod (+some sort of ballhead to manoeuvre the camera to the ideal position) to support the weight of the arm/jib plus camera/video.

A photograph is usually looked at but seldom looked into.
dhandjh
Viewfinder
Album

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 5:47 AM »

If you ever need to carry it any distance give serious consideration to a carbon fibre tripod as they are usually much lighter than aluminium ones.  Most have interchangeable heads so you could have one head for your stills and one for your video (where I suspect panning is important).

Never too old to learn a new trick - just too old to remember it!
Stephen
Viewfinder
Album

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 6:29 AM »

You could take a look at the Benbo range http://www.patersonphotographic.com/benbo-tripods.htm.

All the legs are free to move when the release is turned, and this includes the centre column which can be angled. I have both the original Benbo (made before there was more than one model) and a Traveller. But they are love it or hate it tripods and some have described the setting up as wrestling with an octopus. I don't have a problem with this, and I suspect it may come down to where people hold them when setting up.

Stephen
Tusker
Frequent Fotog
Album

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 9, 2017, 6:53 PM »

Weighing in way late here and hope by now you have solved your tripod  issues. That being said, I would offer some points of interest that might be of help to others. First, carbon fiber is the way to go if any heavy payload is anticipated.  Many of us have gone through this and have discovered that cheap and light weight for the most part will not get the job done and I include ball heads with this statement. the required tripod for such operations here can start at $M dollars. After acquiring my 600MM lens I decided on a "Really The Right Stuff' T35? -- it will get the job done and even an old guy like me can carry it all day. Smiley  100% made in the USA, right down to the last screw, which was important to me.  When I first went looking the well known 'G' brand was not to be had anywhere for some reason. After several years of across the country use I have not one complaint or issue with it. Add a quality heavy duty ball head and you have a winner. You will be nothing but disappointed with the cheaper selections. Also, on longer  lenses, an after market base will allow you to more correctly balance your equipment for use. These are just my thoughts on these matters and others may have their own experiences. GOOD LUCK!! Smiley

WILD FLOWERS DON'T CARE WHERE THEY GROW

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37278746@N07/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: