Photography Cafe
December 12, 2017, 4:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Have you seen the POTQ?
"The beauty of dance "
by Nightjar

Have a look and leave your comment!
(Click on the photo)

Home   Forum   Gallery Help Arcade Cafe Book Nook Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro  (Read 3537 times)
Lensmeister
Way To Go
Album

WWW Awards
« on: February 20, 2015, 1:40 PM »

Before Christmas I found a number of my images I was shooting were soft which lead me to realise that my trusted 18-55mm lens was on it's last legs. I now faced the decision to stick with it and buy the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens or accept the fact i needed to repalce the 18-55mm.

I chose the later. Having researched around I discovered the 17-50mm version was only fractionally less than the 17-70mm.

I read through all the websites, magazines articles and reviews I could find and decided that for 330, the 17-70mm version was the one I wanted to purchase.

Off to Cameraworld in central London and my money in my grubby hands I felt like a schoolkid in sweet shop.

Plans were formulated to go out the following day and try see how it performed. Needless to say the phrase "The best laid plans of mice and men" can in to force.

A week later a trip to Streatham Rookery (worth a visit if you get a chance but do it when the flowers are in bloom) was arranged. The lens was compared to the 18-55mm and it shows the difference.

A week later and I walked for about 10 miles around London using nothing else but the Sigma 17-70mm. It was a dream to use.

No lens creep.
Sturdy (a bit heavier than my original lens).
Clear.
Pin sharp.
Brighter looking images.

Handling 8/10.
Build 8/10.
Performance: 8/10
Value For Money: 8/10.

Well worth the money in my opinion and a lovely bit of kit. If it lasts as long as my old 18-55mm (9 years) then I will have got a lot more value for money than i could ever wished for.

Regards,

Lensmeister

scoundrel1728
Global Moderator
Album

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 7:54 PM »

Several companies make an 18-55 mm lens, sometimes in several models.  Canon, for example, makes or has made no fewer than five versions of EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses.  Nikon also makes at least one model for its entry level cameras.  Sigma also has made a 18-55 f/2.8 DC version.  Just exactly which 18-55 mm lens were you talking about?

The power of coercion stops at the ability and the willingness of the coerced to take the penalty for disobedience. The power of love has no such limit.
Lensmeister
Way To Go
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 2:44 AM »

The 18-55mm was my one from 2005 which is a Canon EF-S fit.

Pipeman
Top Gun
Album

Allow Photo Edit?: Yes

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 1:12 PM »

The 18-55mm was my one from 2005 which is a Canon EF-S fit.

It didn't owe you owt then Neil! Grin

A bit like Victor Meldrew.
scoundrel1728
Global Moderator
Album

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 6:01 PM »

Not familiar with that particular Sigma lens, but the others I have I am pretty satisfied with, and even a so-so f/2.8-4 will probably perform better than what you had.  Canon's 17-55 mm kit lenses of that vintage were none too good, specially on edge sharpness.

The power of coercion stops at the ability and the willingness of the coerced to take the penalty for disobedience. The power of love has no such limit.
geoff chandler
Top Gun
Album

Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 5:00 PM »

I used to own a Sigma 17 - 70 and loved it. Probably an early one as it was around 2005 -  2008 I had it.
it was almost perfect. The only slight issue was If I had it wide open at F2.8 on wide angle the edges were soft
(not necessarily a bad thing)
I replaced it with a Nikon 16 - 85 which is very good and was a bit faster focusing as my Sigma had no motor of its own

This is me, take me or leave me
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: