Photography Cafe
June 28, 2017, 7:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Gallery Help Arcade Cafe Book Nook Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do U miss film? or still use it!  (Read 20655 times)
Stephen
Viewfinder
Album

Allow Photo Edit?: Yes

Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 5:58 AM »

I've never used that format. I've used 14mm sub miniature (I think it was 14mm, but it might have been 10mm), 35mm, 120, 620, 5x4 and one size/type of Polaroid. In the grand (film) scheme of things, that leaves most formats untouched.

Stephen
scoundrel1728
Global Moderator
Album

Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2015, 4:19 PM »

The S in APS stands for "system"; nevertheless, APS is mainly a format as far as the general user is concerned.  APS was film's last hurrah in the casual photographer's market before digital photography took over almost completely.  Although serious photographers who use APS cameras and film may be out there in small numbers, I haven't heard of any, nor can I imagine a nonhistorical motivation for a serious photographer to use the format.  The negative size approximates that of a "crop" dSLR's imager, hence the quality issues of film would be that much greater than the more readily home-processed 35 mm film.

The advantages of this format were mainly for the manufacturer, which could charge more for the special handling.  In fact, the one and only roll of APS film I have ever exposed was in a one-time-use camera and the cost of each exposure, including the film, processing, and printing, was worked out to about one U.S. dollar per exposure, win, lose, or draw.  It was that experience that caused my wife to stop kvetching about my digital cameras and to understand that digital really was a cheaper cost-to-own alternative to film despite the price of digital equipment back then.

The power of coercion stops at the ability and the willingness of the coerced to take the penalty for disobedience. The power of love has no such limit.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: