Photography Cafe
May 22, 2018, 10:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Have you seen the POTQ?
"The beauty of dance "
by Nightjar

Have a look and leave your comment!
(Click on the photo)

Home   Forum   Gallery Help Arcade Cafe Book Nook Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canon 7D swiches itself off  (Read 3045 times)
blackcap
Regular Snapper
Album

Allow Photo Edit?: Yes

WWW Awards
« on: January 19, 2013, 10:04 AM »

This is the second time this has happend. Firing away and it suddenly go's dead.

last time I was trying to photograph Woodpeckers on a feeder with a 50/500 lens on continuous firing and suddenly it stopped. This morning it happens again this time with a 15/85 lens, but on single shot

First time I was on holiday and left it when back home I looked through the manual troubleshooting guide. I have tried all the answers ie ( battery not installed properly, recharged the battery, battery compartment cover is closed properly, and card slot cover closed ). I use only Canon batteries and both are fully charged 1 only last night.

Is this a odd problem or a common one that a repairer would be able to fix, or ship to Canon for repair. It is not under guarantee.

Its a hard life being retired
Willpower
Top Gun
Album

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 10:40 AM »

Oh dear, sounds a bit unfortunate. Have a chat with these people.     http://camera-repair.co.uk/

I have used them in the past with my Canon. Top class service. They might be able to advise you.

Seven_Wishes
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 12:15 PM »

Before you send it away for repair … how old are the batteries, it could be possible that both the batteries are dead and cannot hold their charge … try changing the clock battery, having just done a quick google search it seems that a near dead clock battery can do some screwy things in some instances.
If possible try resetting the camera back to the factory settings. Again if possible try updating the firmware; the latest version is 2.0.3 … if you are using the latest firmware update, try refreshing it by over writing it.
Do you have a battery grip connected; try using double A batteries with the supplied magazine to see if the problem persists. If you have an ac adapter kit check to see if the problem persists when connected via the mains.
jart
Top Gun
Album

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 1:47 PM »

Hi Trevor

If you are still having problems have a word or go visit  H. Lehmann Ltd .. 01782 413611  ..  just up in stoke   

John
blackcap
Regular Snapper
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 3:43 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

Before I send of my camera I will get in touch with both companies (camera repair, Willpower and H Lehmann, John ).

Seven Wishes latest firmware loaded is 2.0.0. One battery was purchased about 3 months ago and it is a Canon one. I do not own a battery grip or mains adapter so cannot try using AA batteries.

Thank for your fast replies.

Trevor

branny
High Fivers
Album

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 4:30 AM »

It happened with mine. I took it in for repair,he took the back off put it together again and said it was working perfectly .I have never had any bother since. It sounds Crazy but make sure you haven't mistakenly switched the camera off.
Danny
Seven_Wishes
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 2:52 PM »

Don’t confuse the Date and Time battery with the main power supply battery … this is a separate coin type battery and if drained can throw up some weird functionality … it might be worth spending £2 and changing it to see if that fixes the problem.
An AC power adapter kit for the 7D can be bought for less than £15 and while it will not fix the problem directly it will certainly rule things out … if you can shoot via the adapter, the problem being face could well be the battery, or the contact terminals on the battery or chamber. It will allow you to reset the camera to the factory settings and allow you to update the firmware without fear of the battery turning the camera off. All of these suggestions may well solve the problem for a fraction of the cost of sending the camera away for repair.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
blackcap
Regular Snapper
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 3:43 PM »

Seven Wishes
I will replace the Date and Time battery first, as soon as the snow has got flattened down a bit.

Trevor

blackcap
Regular Snapper
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 3:54 PM »

Replaced time and date battery still dead.

Looks like its a trip to Stoke this week, will send email first then have a ride out.

Thanks once again for your support.

Trevor

jart
Top Gun
Album

Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 5:14 PM »

Hope all goes well Trevor 
Lehmann has a good name and its always nice to see a face and not just hear a name

john
blackcap
Regular Snapper
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 12:29 PM »

Grandson had a play and its working again, taking out Batteries and putting another in, but still going to Stoke on Wednesday.

Trevor

Rick
Now & Then
Album

Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 1:42 PM »

I had a similar problem but with a battery grip.
The camera would turn off intermittently when used in portrait mode.
The problem was with the catch on the battery compartment door.
When the door is open, just to the left of the actual catch is a sprung pin which is pushed in when
the door is closed. This could well be a safety feature to allow battery contact only when the catch is fully
closed on the battery door.
In my case the catch had loosened slightly over time so all that was needed was to bend the catch gently to make it
'tight' again.
This was about 3 years ago and I've never had a problem since.

PS.....I've just had a look at the battery compartment on my 400D and there is a similar pin in a recess to the bottom left
of the battery compartment, so if the 7D is the same, I would double check there is nothing stopping this pin being compressed.
And make sure the battery door closes tight.
Rick
Now & Then
Album

Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 1:12 PM »

So how did you get on in Stoke ?
Rick
Now & Then
Album

Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 8:10 PM »

OK maybe I'm being silly here but........
You were quick enough to ask people here for a solution to your problem.
Some good people replied and tried to offer a solution to help you.
You were active on this site yesterday yet you haven't bothered to update your own topic for two weeks.
You could at least tell the people who tried to help you if your problem was solved.
Is there a reason why that would be ?
Do you not think that your experience may be of help to other 7d owners ?
blackcap
Regular Snapper
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 9:07 AM »

Sorry Rick, but I have only been in for a quick look about.
Camera is repaired don't know what the problem is or was until I go and pick it up. Still waiting for 2 lenses to be repaired be for I have a ride to pick them up.

Trevor

jart
Top Gun
Album

Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 11:09 AM »

You found Lehmann shop ok then Trevor  Thumb Up
Rick
Now & Then
Album

Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 6:46 PM »

Sorry Rick, but I have only been in for a quick look about.
Camera is repaired don't know what the problem is or was until I go and pick it up. Still waiting for 2 lenses to be repaired be for I have a ride to pick them up.Trevor

Well that's good news.I hope it isn't going to be an expensive repair Grin
Let the forum know of the outcome as it's always good to know .........forewarned is forearmed etc etc.
I've only had reason to deal with Lehmanns once and I couldn't fault them at all.....great service at a very reasonable price.............I hope you have the same good experience I did.
blackcap
Regular Snapper
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 3:55 PM »

Got my camera back.
New PCB, Dismantle, General Clean, Service, Reassemble and Test Fully. Need some spare time now to get some photo's in.

Trevor

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: