Photography Cafe
May 22, 2018, 10:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Have you seen the POTQ?
"The beauty of dance "
by Nightjar

Have a look and leave your comment!
(Click on the photo)

Home   Forum   Gallery Help Arcade Cafe Book Nook Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nikon D800 & D800E  (Read 1552 times)
Seven_Wishes
« on: February 7, 2012, 11:06 AM »

Today Nikon launch the replacement for their D700 with two new virtually identical cameras the D800 and the D800E... identical in every aspect other than cost and the D800E being minus an anti-aliasing filter (which one costs more ... a clue, you pay more for less) ... I'm sure that there must be some logic behind such a marketing decision, but cannot figure out what that logic might be ...
I'm also sure many Nikon owners will relish a 36 mega pixel camera ... the irony will certainly be amusing to many Canon owners

BigAl
Global Moderator
Album

Mr. Outspoken

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2012, 11:22 AM »

The D800E has got an optical low-pass filter. It's just that, for the extra money, you get the function to disable it. This allows 100% of the light to get through to the sensor when you really need it.

Photographers should never fall out over a small TIFF.
Seven_Wishes
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2012, 1:39 PM »

Yes it has a low pass filter, two of them, one being inverted to remove any anti-aliasing … it cannot be turned on and off … turning it off would alter the way the light hits the sensor and would give less than desirable results … having said that any moiré patterns that occur must be desirable.
Beats me why they didn’t introduce a camera aimed more at the stills photographic market, I’m sure that would have been a better option than the route they chose and would possibly have been appreciated more.

“Nikon will offer another model, the D800E, a camera designed to remove the effects of the optical low-pass filter (OLPF) for sharper images than normal. This camera, Nikon warns, will also be more susceptible to producing moiré patterns in images with repeating patterns. Available in mid-April 2012, the Nikon D800E will cost an additional $300, or US$3,300.”

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d800/nikon-d800A.HTM
Plossl
Top Gun
Album

Allow Photo Edit?: Yes

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2012, 2:19 PM »

Most of my lens are DX so the D800/D800e is a no no for me. I am also not interested in a DSLR camera with Movie mode. So I hope the D400 will come without it or at least Nikon bring out a model along side it 

Amateurs worry about equipment, Professionals worry about time, Masters worry about light.
IndyGeoff
Now & Then
Album

Allow Photo Edit?: Yes

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 8:25 PM »

Plossl

I used a Nikon 12-24 on my D800E .. from 18mm you are ok with vignetting.  I also put a Kenko Pro 300 1.4TC on it and did not see vignetting at 12mm, which was effectively almost 17mm.  Now i did lose a stop so it is now a f5.6 lens if i do that.

for kicks i tried the 18-135 lens from my D90 using the Kenko ... it WORKED at 18mm and i did not see vignetting.  though to be honest i only took 1 shot in my basement, which isnt the brightest.  i plan to check tomrrow.  i would have a ~25-190mm f5.6-f8 lens with that last one.     funny yes, but it IS another option i have for my vacation next week. 

i am going to add more FF lenses to my kit, but wanted to see what would happen with these lenses because i own them, was curious and thought others might get a smile out of it.  i posted the photos on my flickr acct of the 12-24 with and without the TC.

since i have not read all the rules (gasps and covers his mouth, please dont hit me admin) i wont put my flickr acct link until i know it is ok. i am a member of the FB site for here and posted a photo of it at 12mm .. can get to the set from there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: