Photography Cafe
May 24, 2017, 12:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Gallery Help Arcade Cafe Book Nook Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cafe Choice Award~ELLETTE  (Read 8623 times)
admin
Administrator
Album

Awards
« on: August 21, 2009, 9:03 AM »

The Judges of the Cafe Choice Award are pleased to announce the presentation of this highly rated award:

is awarded to member

ELLETTE

for her image

"Dive, Dive"

From the Judges:

"Sara’s ‘Dive! Dive!’ has an almost cartoon quality with its simple lines, clarity and the very engaging look of the fish. Although the fish is placed around the right and lower ‘third’ lines, the image does not slavishly follow compositional rules and there is a lot of pure white ‘negative space’ which the fish is swimming into. There is a separation of the two elements of the fish and the surface water only linked by the delicate line of bubbles and the fish’s reflection.

The fish itself has a very engaging and quizzical look, its eye is pin sharp and the fins have a very soft, flowing texture more suggestive of painting than photography. The colours from opposing sides of the colour wheel give the image real ‘zing’.

Congratulations, Ellette!

jane_t
Administrator
Album

Allow Photo Edit?: Yes

I need a holiday

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 11:13 AM »

Well done Sara,   a very well deserved Cafe Choice.   Group Wave

Jane.

Thought before action if you have time
http://www.rjt.org.uk
Plossl
Top Gun
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 11:17 AM »

A very very well deserved award Sara Well done  Thumb Up Thumb Up

Amateurs worry about equipment, Professionals worry about time, Masters worry about light.
BigAl
Global Moderator
Album

Mr. Outspoken

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 11:26 AM »

I liked the clean simplicity when I first saw it. With this photo I knew who had taken it even without looking at the name. Few images on this site have that sort of impact.

Photographers should never fall out over a small TIFF.
Sheratan
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:44 AM »

A worthy choice. Deceptively simple. That little fish has a huge personality.
 Thumb Up
Ian
Administrator
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:07 PM »

Congratulations Sara... a worthy choice

karenc
Top Gun
Album

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:12 PM »

Well deserved Sara. Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up
lainey
High Fivers
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:29 PM »

congrats, Sara, very worthy winner Thumb Up

RockArea
Top Gun
Album

Awap-bop-aloobop, awop-bam-boom

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 12:43 PM »

A wonderful image and great to see it achieve this prestigious award. Congratulations, Sara!

David Smiley

"That's alright, I still have my guitar" J. M. Hendrix
panthrcat
Regular Snapper
Album

Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 2:47 AM »

I love it!!    a very well done shot!!!
Hatter
Administrator
Album

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 4:53 PM »

Congratulations, Sara - an excellent shot.

Jenny
Mini Noggin the Nog's Mamma
Administrator
Album

Did I take that?

Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 2:34 AM »

I am so glad to see you get the Cafe Choice Award for this image Sara, its amazing and definitely worth this high accolade, a fantastic image.

Congratulations Sara!

Julie
CHIEF NATTERER
Top Gun
Album

DON'T MISS THE GALLERY TODAY!

Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 11:47 AM »

Wow Sara-this truly deserves this accolade! Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up

If you post a shot in the Gallery, please stop a few moments and leave a comment or two on some shots you see. It's so encouraging to get comments.
Ellette
Queen of rambling on and on and on and on...
Top Gun
Album

No pictures of me...because I care!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 12:50 AM »

Thank you so much!!!  I'm so honoured to have gotten this.  It was a fun but difficult picture to get.  I got the idea from another photographer on here (whose name I've forgotten...I apologize!), it was one of those pictures that gives you inspiration and you don't want to copy it, but want to make your own.  This person had a fish picture and a water picture they'd combined in photoshop and I think they'd added bubbles too.  I decided to see if I could do it all in one go.  I asked them if they would mind if I did a picture along the same lines because I hate it when photographers step on toes.  Smiley  

So, here is how I did the picture.

I took the fish from his nice roomy 60 gallon tank and stuck him in a 1.5-2 gallon little plastic tank thing that is meant for carting gerbils around or something...a temporary sort of tank.  I had tried a couple different containers, but most of them weren't clear enough or had corners that showed, all sort of things like that.  This one worked.  The fish is pretty big (they grow to fit their tank, we have 2 "feeder" fish and 2 of these fish that I call waddle fish because they waddle when they swim, and we have an plecostomus so with only 5 fish...they are all large), which is problematic in that there wasn't much room for him in the tank and if he moved too far at all he'd get near the edge and there was a corner in the picture with him.  I wanted water moving, I wanted bubbles, I wanted fish, I wanted nothing else.  I put the tank on a table in the backyard on a sunny day in a softbox (ie., a big white fabric cube).  I poured water with one hand into the tank while I held the camera in the other and took the picture multiple times.  I got lots of pictures of him mooning me, 1/2 of him as he either headed in or out of my camera's frame, blah water, all sorts of things that didn't work.  I only got one picture out of about 20 I took, and then I felt sorry for him and put him back in his house.  Smiley  If you do this to your fish, please remember to do it with declorinated water so you don't make him sick.  Smiley  Doc is still alive and well, and since fish can live for years and years...hopefully will be for quite some time.

The water is blue because there was still some sun getting in there so that is the reflection from the sky...plus there is the opposite fishy reflection too.  The fish looks like he's jumping, but he wasn't, he was just moving out of the way of the water.  Poor guy, wasn't used to an obnoxious intermittent waterfall.

Thank you everyone, and thank you to the judges for the award!  I really appreciate it.  smitten

Supervision not nearly as cool as it sounds!

Click for Portland, Oregon Forecast" border="0" height="50" width="150
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: